Acepromazine Maleate Capsules
- Acepromazine is a tranquilizing medication that is approved for use in dogs, cats, and horses. In animals, it is used to control intractable behavior, alleviate itching due to skin irritation, prevent vomiting caused by motion sickness, and as a preanesthetic agent. In horses, it can also be used to control fractious behavior and in combination with local anesthesia for various procedures and treatments. In addition to its tranquilizing effects, Acepromazine is also approved for use in horses as a preanesthetic agent to help control behavior.
- Acepromazine causes sedation or sleepiness, but it does not reduce anxiety or fear.
- The sedative or tranquilizing effects (sleepiness) and side effects of Acepromazine may last for up to 24 hours. It is recommended to observe how your animal reacts to the medication before administering it in a potentially stressful situation.
- When giving by mouth, give a dose 45-60 minutes before the procedure or trip for best effect. Your veterinarian may recommend a trial dose a few days before travel to see how the drug will affect your animal.
- This drug may give urine a pinkish to reddish-brown color; this is not to be worried about.
- Do not give other medicines with this drug to tranquilize or sedate your animal unless instructed by your veterinarian.