Tetracycline Oral Liquid
- Tetracycline is a type of antibiotic that has been used to treat various bacterial infections, but many strains of bacteria have developed resistance to it. However, it may still be effective against certain types of bacteria such as Mycoplasma, Rickettsia, spirochetes and Chlamydia. Tetracycline is often used in combination with niacinamide to treat inflammatory skin conditions in dogs that do not have a bacterial infection.
- Tetracycline can cause stomach upset and discoloration of teeth and bones in developing animals. It can also make animals more sensitive to sunlight. Prolonged use may lead to the formation of urinary stones. Cats generally do not tolerate the drug well. In horses, it may cause diarrhea when given orally and under stress. When given to ruminants at high doses, it may disrupt the balance of bacteria in the rumen and cause digestive problems.
- It is recommended to administer this medicine on an empty stomach. To avoid interactions, do not give it orally within 1 to 2 hours of consuming milk or dairy products.
- If gastrointestinal upset occurs, giving with a small amount of food may help, but this may also reduce the amount of drug absorbed.